Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Senior Reflection

Last night, as I read my senior speech to my parents, my mother's eyes started to fill with tears. Though it was not my intention to make her sad, it hit me: college is the time, not only for new experiences, but to become an individual. This was the first time I actually thought about what I was going to do in college. I've had my parents by my side for the past 18 years, but when September comes, I will be on my own in Beantown. Unlike my friends, I haven't cried about leaving everyone, because it still just hasn't hit me yet. In addition, I'm more thrilled for new experiences. I've spent the past 7 years here in Burlington, and before that, I was in Brighton since birth. I haven't had much change. Don't get me wrong - I love Brighton and Burlington, but this is a time to become anything we want to be. My English teacher gave my class a speech about how this is probably the last time we can define ourselves. Last time we did that, we were 4, being walked into school by our parents, and friends just came automatically. I'm really excited for September to come. My school immediately allows interns, which I think is the best preparation for the 'real world', I will be in Boston - my favorite city in the world, my friends will be in nearby schools, and I will be studying something I want to study - special education. I am truly excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment