Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do Something Impossible


Adults assume what they want when it comes to technology. They think it’s limited to computers, iPods, and televisions, and they’re only distractions to children today. Don’t get me wrong – they are distractions. I’m a seventeen-year-old high school senior. If anyone knows anything about distractions, it’s this girl right here. But adults fail to realize that there is so much more in the word “technology” than what they think. I agree with Shelly Blake-Poke completely. Take my parents for example. They automatically assume whenever I’m on my laptop that I’m changing my status on Facebook, when, quite honestly, I’m usually typing notes for a class or researching information on a subject on the internet. My parents don’t understand that a lot of the tech-savvy things I use actually have to do with my schoolwork. Like Shelly explains, we need adults to understand that we can incorporate and integrate these new technological advances in a positive, educational way. Technology helps the world connect. Shelly states that if “we deal with the poverty and crushed communities that are realities for our lowest income students….then maybe we’d actually be amazed at what our kids can do.” And that is so true. Adults, give us some credit and some sort of trust. You might just be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment