Tuesday, April 5, 2011

School Changes

For the past 2 weeks in my psychology class, we have been creating our own high schools, in relation to brain development studies and our own personal experiences as high school students. As I worked with 2 other people, my group and I decided that school should begin at 8:30 and end at 3. Though an hour may seem minimal, it is effective. Speaking on behalf of my fellow students and myself, I know that an hour longer to sleep would wake me up greatly for my 1st period class. In addition, ending at 3 doesn't drastically affect sports, jobs, and other extracurricular activies and obligations. Especially with the workload juniors and seniors face, realistically, we're not all asleep by 10pm. Sorry, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. On a good day, I am in my bed by 11. If I have this "good day" every day, going to bed at 11 each night, and wake up at 7:15 in the morning, I get more than 8 hours of sleep, which is much more than I currently get now. I think this is the first change that needs to be made, because it's not like students want to fall asleep in their classes - we don't learn anything and it's embarrassing. If we were given just one more hour to sleep, that would make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment