Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Teacher-Replacing Tech: Friend or Foe?"

I wrote this post after reading the following article.

As an avid Mac lover, I believe technology is, and will further be, the future. Though no MacBook Pro can replace any of my favorite teachers, there is something more exciting about the internet than any professor. We have possibilities. Opportunities. Every day, from 7:30-2:00, I'm sitting at a desk. Listening to a teacher blab about something I don't understand. If it weren't for this Web 2.0 class and photography, I would be sitting ALL day. The internet lets people's minds wander. If classes were just rooms full of laptops and students with maybe 1 teacher to supervise, I think it would be more effective. Kids can still ask teachers and their fellow students for help, but really we're learning through the newest technology. I honestly believe that iPads, laptops, and other objects of technology are given so much flack because adults are afraid of this major change in education. School is definitely not the same as it was in 1950, 1979, or even 2000. Times are changing and so is technology. Why do we still need teachers when I can skype with a teacher from another town, state, or country, when I need help? The sky's the limit.

1 comment:

  1. Mallory - I am glad you are excited about the possibilities that going 1:1 can offer. I read this post from a teacher over the weekend that sums up the type of teacher that I think students would prefer in the classroom. What do you think?

    http://stumpteacher.blogspot.com/2011/02/i-resign-from-teaching.html

    ReplyDelete