Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Are We Becoming Cellfish?

According to Attorney General Martha Coakley, cell phones should be banned in schools in an attempt to end bullying. I agree, cell phone use can cause bullying. That doesn't mean we should get rid of them all together in schools. Let's be honest: every kid at my school checks their cell phone every chance they get - when the teacher is turned away, leaves the room, or even in some classrooms where cell phones are allowed, we're just waiting for the next new text message. I also agree that bullying has become a terrible "epidemic", if you will, in our country. I was and still am heartbroken after reading Pheobe Prince's story. I will never forget that name or what happened to her. However, I don't think getting rid of cell phones all together ends bullying. There is the internet, probably the largest bully central. I'm not going to lie, I check my phone in every class to see if I have a new text, but in no way does this affect my grades nor start any form of bullying. I think adults immediately just throw technology into the equation, as if it's always the problem. We have to realize that it's a number of things - sure, cell phones, but also Facebook, AIM, Myspace, and there are still those old-fashioned bullies who do it face-to-face. In one my classes I have to put my phone in a little compartment and I'm able to grab it at the end of class. Why can't teachers do that? It's naiive to believe that kids aren't carrying their cell phones with them, and clearly my teacher knows we have them. But my putting it in that little basket, I'm not distracted to do anything other than learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment