Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Boston: The Next Hollywood?

I love Boston. I love everything about my hometown. I originally grew up in Brighton, right on the Allston line, which was only ten minutes from the city, so traveling to Boston every weekend wasn't a big deal. There's something about the city that is so vibrant, yet unique. It's no Big Apple - it's small and keeps to itself. It full of wonderful Bostonians (and their accents). It's no Hollywood - you're not going to find Brangelina and Robert Pattinson walking down the street. I was more than thrilled when I found out that almost every Oscar-nominated movie this year took place in Boston. It's such an honor, and it speaks so highly of Massachusetts as a whole. Though I felt "The Fighter" was just so-so, it portrayed Lowell pretty accurately. My sister and I even fight about the accents! I think for actors who grew up in random states across the country, their Boston accents were decent. I fell in LOVE with "The Town". The first time I watched it, I was sitting with my parents. My dad, the former Charlestown High School football coach, called out everything that was going to happen - "I knew a man JUST like the florist whose shop was right down the street from the school", "the cop won't say anything about the robbers - how can he?", or, my personal favorite, "Mal, I know exactly where that is." He was like a little kid! That made the movie better, in my personal opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment