Monday, February 7, 2011

Struggles of A Hopeful College Student

Since September, actually, scratch that, since birth, there have been only a few significant moments I've wanted to come most: college, marriage, having children, and getting a job I love. The first to that list is soon to come: college. Like every other 17 year-old, I've been constantly fighting with my parents over costs of schools, locations, majors, and what I plan to do after college. People always tell me that I don't need to have my life figured out right now, but it's hard not to feel that way. Three of my top schools all have major flaws, some saving me money, but costing my own happiness. The University of Tampa, according to my overprotective mother, is too far away. Wheelock College is too expensive, and if I really wanted to go there, I'd have to commute. The College of William and Mary in Virginia is incredibly competitive. What happened to the days when an A-B student who played 3 sports and had a part-time job could easily get into any school he/she desired? The college word has become so competitive. I'm actually afraid I won't get into any of my schools now. My biggest annoyance is that these colleges and universities base what they "know" about a student through a few essays, numbers that determine class ranks, letters that teachers just say "____ is a great asset to the classroom", and basic letter grades. I got a B in Probability and Statistics. Woo hoo? That doesn't tell my schools that I've known I wanted to be a special education teacher for my entire life, due to my mentally ill aunt. No where on my application do they find out that I'm a extremely dedicated person, and though I may not be the best, I try my best. No where does it state that I've always had a passion for music and photography. Little things colleges don't know about me? They may seem little, but they make up who I am. It's just extremely difficult to get a break anymore. I have to continuously fight against my fellow classmates just for a spot in a school's new freshman class.

No comments:

Post a Comment